Valentino Resort 2023. Story by Eleonora de Gray, Editor-in-Chief of RUNWAY MAGAZINE. Photo Courtesy: Valentino.
A little glimpse to the feature summer 2023 with Valentino. Style fundamentals of Maison Valentino came as a party favors ready even before the spring.
Valentino Toile Iconographe
The logo is alive. He breathes. It slides slowly over the surface. He dialogues with the environment that surrounds him. He redefines his lines. He crosses them, widens them, rediscovers them. He is resting. He constantly rejects classification, taking new paths. He creates and recreates, reinvents, cuts and sews. It signifies and re-signifies.
The logo is alphabet and word. The logo is space and architecture. The logo is beauty and culture.
Valentino’s VLogo is an active, constant, incessant bearer of deep meanings, born today in a new project that dresses the surface, and beyond.
Valentino invests the raw white canvas – the archetype of creativity, the place of creation, the design canvas of creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli – to become a story that defines spaces and endless creative possibilities.
Valentino Canvas Iconographer was born, the canvas is iconographic: the image is everything. The logo becomes everything. Obsessive and over the top, both liberating and unique. Indelible, original and elegant sign of our time and our contradictions – actions. The logo as an icon of our choices, even the most intimate ones.
The continuous, reticular logo tattoos reality with a radical and inclusive act of poetry in the photographs of Steven Meisel. The white background is the Canvas of one of the great contemporary photographers, himself an icon and iconic, who focuses the gaze on the essential. A powerful and timeless campaign, which descends into the visual memory of the aesthetic imaginations of the last century, in a rigor not to be taken lightly, which reveals the extraordinary coherence of Valentino, until today, in this present which is now.
Images that are artists’ canvases, striking graphics, in a truth that Meisel’s lens faithfully reproduces. Kristen McMenamy is immersed in Valentino’s Iconographer Canvas, which reinvents makeup and pursues, and follows, its ethereal beauty; the springtime lightness of Cas echoed by the bag that becomes a headdress and the monogrammed stockings is irreverent when it is explosive; the statuary classicism and deep elegance of Alaato give a hypnotic intensity to the images, Sora Choi is wrapped in Toile, in a balance between sensuality and rigor, where Valentino red is a sophisticated combination of weight and volume, in freedom.
Valentino Toile Iconographe is always and incessantly on the move, to write and rewrite fashion. To talk about us and with us. Without borders, without gender.
PH: Steven Meisel
STYLIST: Joe McKenna
MAKE UP: Pat McGrath – @patmcgrathreal
HAIR: Guido Palau – @guidopalau
Kristen Mcmenamy (MODELS1) – @kristen_mcmenamy
Alaato (WOMEN) – @alaato_jazyper
Sora (SPECIAL) – @sola5532
Cas (Tomorrow is another day)
Valentino Resort 2023
KEY CODES – READY TO WEAR
• The collection takes inspiration from the Maison’s archives and aesthetic codes, resignified. Modernity is expressed through different personalities, creating a dialogue between contemporaneity and timelessness. A collection of items that possess their own intrinsic value, while remaining especially relevant in present-time.
• Surfaces define the looks, exalt silhouettes, and then get lost in their complexity. Through this creative process, the identity of the Maison is told through an exercise of subtraction that leads to the essential.
• Minimalism takes center stage, with garments becoming seemingly very simple but deeply complex. The silhouettes are dry and figure-hugging, yet the study of the items is deeply explored appearing full and elaborate, thanks to precious embroidery, sequins and lace, Couture cuts.
• The result of the collection is the mix of the Sixties bourgeois taste and urban resignified aesthetics, restoring elegance. Versatility characterizes precious volumes and workmanship that define Couture inspired looks, that are decontextualized while applied to prêt-à-porter and evening looks.
• Key focus of the collection is the Valentino Toile Iconographe, the new VLogo all over pattern, on both ready to wear and Valentino Garavani accessories. It involves mostly iconic coats, suits, and leather work with a Seventies flavor. The new path is presented on total looks in bi-color red and fondant canvas combinations, studied along with the accessories world to offer full textured looks. The VLogo jacquard recreates the hypnotic effect of the monochrome.
• For the first time, the Valentino Chain 1967 archival motif is presented. The print, reinterpreted by the Creative Director Pierpaolo Piccioli, is expressed on dresses, long and short pieces and scarves, in several shades.
• Valentino The Party Collection 2022 fully embodies the joyful spirit of the holiday season. Gold, colors, embroideries and lights are the main themes, with garments born among shades of purple, emerald green, yellow and sequins.
KEY CODES – VALENTINO GARAVANI ACCESSORIES
The accessories embody the values of the Maison: the evolution of the Valentino Garavani codes is amplified with the introduction of the Toile Iconographe pattern and the addition of new models, such as Valentino Garavani Le Grand Deuxième, Valentino Garavani Le Petit Deuxième, Valentino Garavani Le Troisième, Valentino Garavani Le Cinquième and the new Valentino Garavani Tiptoe shoes.
The collection also features variations of the Valentino Garavani One Stud family, the Valentino Garavani Locò bags in different kind of materials and colors; and the Valentino Garavani Tan-Go shoes, now presented in the classic shape.
• The Toile Iconographe becomes protagonist also on accessories and is proposed on the new models of Valentino Garavani bags: Le Grand Deuxième, Le Petit Deuxième, Le Troisième and Le Cinquième.
The inspiration, deeply linked to the heritage of the Maison, shows a bold and contemporary twist, thanks to the combination of different materials with distinguished color in a monochromatic and two-tone range.
• Iconic models such as the Valentino Garavani Roman Stud, Locò and Rockstud Spike are enlivened and reinterpreted through fine and sophisticated processing such as rhinestones and straw.
• The Valentino Garavani Chain 1967 archival motif sculpts day and evening shoes, offering a sophisticated and timeless aesthetic. The high-heeled shoes feature a transparent heel with an eye-catching allure.
• The iconic and beloved Valentino Garavani Tan-Go shoes are revised under a new stylistic key, presented in a square toe, with single or double ankle straps.